For dinner last night we had the most amazing greek taco sandwich things! Here is the recipe with the changes I made for us. Looking forward to the leftovers for lunch today. I think this will have to be one of those every couple of week recipes.
Lamb or Ground Beef:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground lamb or ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
Feta Mint Tzatziki:
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt or full fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (this added such a nice change to the Tzatziki)
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint or dill
Cucumber Tomato Relish:
- 1 tablespoon roasted red pepper olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsmic vinegar
- 2 firm tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
4 non-pocket pitas or Nann bread because I couldn’t find any really soft pitas. (You want to warm these before making the tacos)
For the lamb or ground beef: In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the lamb, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until the meat gets nice and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the lamb and reserve. Lower the heat to medium and saute the onions in the lamb juices until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano and garlic and cook until fragrant. Season. Add the tomato paste and cook until it caramelizes. Deglaze with the red wine and scrape any bits up that have adhered to the pan. Add the lamb back in, stir and set aside.
For the tzatziki: Grate the cucumber on the large holes of a box grater and place in a fine-meshed strainer or cheese cloth fitted over a bowl. Salt the cucumber and let sit 10 minutes. Then squeeze out any excess moisture. Add the strained cucumber into a bowl with the yogurt, feta, garlic and mint or dill. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
For the cucumber tomato relish: Toss the olive oil, vinegar, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions in a bowl and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Cover and let sit at least 1 hour to marry the flavors.
Schmear the tzatziki on the pitas, then place on the lamb or ground beef and top with cucumber tomato relish.
Now stuff this in your mouth and get ready for your tongue to jump out and slap you in the head!